Subject: Re: Tasking
From: [email-masked] (Scot Perry)
To: [email-masked] (John Sonedecker)
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 00:04:01 -0400

>Hi all,
>I was using modeller while rendering frames in Layout. My question is:
>To get the best response time in both(respectable render times and fast
>screen updates) would getting a faster graphics card speed things up? My 
>redraws are fine when using only one program, but modelling while rendering
>in the background really slows thing down. I a musing NT 3.51 on a P100
>w/ 32 megs ram. Tasking is set for equal responsiveness and the graphics
>card is a Diamond Stealth 32 w/ 2 megs ram. I have an extra $300 and if it
>will help I will upgrade to a faster card. If not I will go with a 1gig HD( I
>can't do both, getting married in 2 months!). 
>On an semirelated note-
>What will Lightwave's AVI. support be, and how does AVI files differ
>from FLC's? Just wandering for an upcomming project. Thanks
>-John Sonedecker
>

I don't think a faster graphics card will help that much. Rendering is very
CPU intensive if you turn on your CPU Monitor in NT you'll see its maxed out
at 100% every second its rendering. So the only way to get resonable modeler
performance is to take some of that CPU time from rendering so I would
change your settings to best foreground application response because when
your using modeller you spend a reasonable amount of time thinking about
your next action so modeler isn't putting large demands on CPU till you
activate a function like Metaform or Booleans. It will slow rendering a
little but will make modeling tolerable and only slow rendering a little. Or
even better render during breaks or overnight when possible.

Scot W. Perry
Artworx 813-441-4451
Raster Imaging Equipment, Supplies and Services

--
[email-masked] (Scot Perry) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]